Two weeks ago I checked my Australian bank account and found that I'd managed to achieve the impressive balance amount of $0. Standing there in the glow of that ATM screen, still clutching the extra-large meat feast pizza I'd unknowingly spent my last $20 on, it occurred to me how much money we’d gone through during the first month of parties, surfing and sightseeing, and how expensive living in Sydney is in general. It also occurred to me how fortunate it was that I’d started my new job the week before, so with just days until I would be credited my first payment we found ourselves still in a position to plan the remainder of our trip - albeit by the smallest of margins. Now that we have office work sorted for the next two months we've started saving up for the station wagon with the aim of launching Phase II of our trip as early as the first week of October - Lee has already started planning the road trip play list, think ACDC and Iron Maiden.
The weekend is looming and we’re getting excited about Saturday morning and trading the bustle of the city for the quiet stillness of Katoomba, a sleepy country town of some 9’000 inhabitants situated 50 miles outside of Sydney and nestled a kilometre up into the Blue Mountains (so called because of the bluish tinge caused by light scattering in the atmosphere). Top of our to-do list is to visit the Three Sisters rock formations: Meehni (922 m), Wimlah (918 m), and Gunnedoo (906 m), hopefully with the minimum of daredevil cliff-hanging antics - the "Mountain-Climbing Skills" album is unlikely to follow.
0 comments:
Post a Comment